I made a carbon-fibre front lip for the cheap GT-R

Jacking up a GT-R isn’t the easiest.

So in what seems to be my never ending thread of rectifying crap parts of my cheap GT-R, we come back to the front end. Due to the unique way the R35 lacks in build quality, I’ve noticed during the February rainy season that water either pools or leaks from everywhere. My smart wrap job of the front lip was ruined because of this! With water seeping down behind it and it subsequently starting to peel. This left me with a few options , pay a professional to wrap it, get it painted, or spend £835bn on a poorly fitting carbon fibre replacement. As you’ve no doubt learnt thus far I hate spending money, fortunately I happen to have all of the materials necessary to skin items in genuine carbon-fibre.

A battered and sanded front lip.

So the lip with what can only be described as a gouge with a few cracks added for good measure, is what drew attention at the front of the GT-R. I didn’t like the idea of replacing it or wrapping it again , I love carbon fibre and now have carbon tips on my exhaust. So I felt a little at the front would balance it nicely! My first battle was removing the offending trim piece which is no easy feat. Step one use a small scissor jack to raise the back of the car literally 1inch , step two place “low profile” trolley jack under front side jacking point and raise the car up. Step three place 2inches of wood under each front wheel , this will allow room to get the trolley jack to the central front jacking point. When i finally got it up in the air I used axle stands to prop the car up on each side jacking point. A plethora of 10 and 12mm bolts hold the lip and under-tray in place , once removed I used my nose as a chock while I slowly pulled the tray forward. Next it was time to use some coarse sandpaper and begin prepping the lip for some black epoxy base-coat. Once sanded I also measured the total length with curvature so I could cut the carbon cloth to length. After a lending a hand from my grandfather the cloth was delicately draped over the splitter and patted down flat , luckily there were no creases and fitting was a success.

The timely process began , once the cloth had been left for 8 hours to bond with the base-coat it was to be layered with epoxy clear-coat. This was done first as a single layer and allowed to cure for a day then followed by 3 further coats within 2 hours of each other. Again these coats needed to be flatted with sandpaper before the final coat could be applied, for a reasonable amount of gloss to be achieved. I finished the project here, mainly because it’s February and the weather is awful! I needed the car and it’s a very vulnerable part. When the weather is better I will finish flatting all of the carbon with 400,600,800 and 1200 grit paper. However I’m proud of what I’ve achieved, it’s cost barely £25 and the front lip that was battered and cracked is now strong fresh on the front of the car, which I would render a success. There will be more pictures to follow once a final polish and high quality lacquer have been sprayed onto to lip, but for now it’s filthy while I’m enjoying sticking miles on my project car.

Raw unadulterated carbon fibre.

Published by sjfbusby

a big nosed bearded idiot who likes to write about cars. Lucky enough to have owned a few quick ones too.

Leave a comment

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: